[Foundation-l] LiquidThreads in Beta testing at labs.wikimedia.org

Andrew Garrett agarrett at wikimedia.org
Fri Oct 2 10:05:01 UTC 2009

For those of us who don't follow the tech blog [1], I'm pleased to
announce that LiquidThreads is now in beta testing in the Wikimedia
Labs [2].

LiquidThreads is a next-generation discussion system for MediaWiki,
which turns talk pages into a real forum, while maintaining the
essential aspects of a wiki that make them so effective. It was
originally developed as a Google Summer of Code project by David
McCabe, and I've spent the last 4 months preparing it for deployment
on Wikimedia sites, under contract from the Foundation.

Presently, we're waiting for the labs project to become relatively
stable, and have all the features we need. Once that's been done, we
will commence a staged roll-out of LiquidThreads on various Wikimedia
sites. It should be noted that LiquidThreads has a mode in which it
can be switched on or off per-page. My intention is to activate it on
sites in that mode, and allow users to discuss pages that would
benefit from the enhanced discussion management (I'm thinking of high-
traffic noticeboards and discussion pages). Once it's been rolled out
and people are familiar with it, we can think about the possibility of
turning it on for all discussion pages.

LiquidThreads is very much a work in progress, and your feedback is
essential for it to get to a point at which we can deploy it on this
wiki. Please do send any and all constructive feedback to the feedback
page on the test wiki, and I will do my best to accommodate it.

I'm very excited about the opportunity to bring this technology to
Wikipedia, and to give our discussion pages a long-needed overhaul.

[1] http://techblog.wikimedia.org/2009/10/mediawikis-new-discussion-system-in-testing-on-wikimedia-labs/

[2] http://liquidthreads.labs.wikimedia.org

[3] http://liquidthreads.labs.wikimedia.org/wiki/Feedback

--