[Foundation-l] Housekeeping: One user on moderation today

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Mon Nov 30 16:12:37 UTC 2009

Ryan Lomonaco wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 30, 2009 at 2:17 AM, Geoffrey Plourde <geo.plrd at yahoo.com>wrote:
>
>> I really hated the idea of posting limits at first, but must commend the
>> list mods for implementing it. Now that there is a specific cost to replies,
>> I have scaled back on the amount of emails I have sent and prioritized based
>> on discussion. Another possibility would be imposing a throttle on replies
>> to threads, e.g. 5 per thread per day.
>>
> That's something that I think might have merit, although it's one of those
> things that's tough to set as a hard-and-fast rule because of time zone
> differences.

I think the better approach is what the moderators have occasionally
done in the past, which is to kill a specific thread. And the rest of us
can call out those threads as being worthless, as several people have
done, or ignore them (Thomas Dalton is right about that at least). But I
expect throttling threads would be counterproductive. The beneficial
effect of the current moderation is that it creates space for a more
inclusive discussion, by restraining "post-early-and-often" behavior. A
per-thread throttle would create an incentive to encourage that
behavior, by privileging those who are quickest to respond.

--Michael Snow