[Foundation-l] Pedophilia and the Non discrimination policy

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun Nov 29 22:38:30 UTC 2009

On Sun, Nov 29, 2009 at 5:21 PM, David Levy <lifeisunfair at gmail.com> wrote:
> Are you suggesting that it's unlikely that a pedophile could edit with
> the degree of productivity that that we ordinarily demand of editors
> in good standing?

No.  I'm am saying that the ordinary demands are far far too low, though.

>> I don't see anything unjust about treating someone differently because
>> they're a pedophile.
>
> Okay, so your position is not that the degree of collateral damage
> (the banning of pedophiles who are productive editors) would be
> negligible, but that this is irrelevant (because all pedophiles
> deserve to be banned from editing, regardless of how they conduct
> themselves).  Correct?

No.  I *am* saying that a degree of collateral damage (the banning of
pedophiles who are productive editors) would be negligible, and
acceptable.  But I'm also saying that this has nothing whatsoever to
do with "justice".

> "Openly [admitting] to
> being a pedophile" could apply to the public statement "I struggle
> with a condition called pedophilia, for which I receive therapy."

Yes, if you ignore the context in which I said it, of which my
footnote was part.

> You just conveyed your suspicion that "a number of Wikipedians on this
> very mailing list" condone pedophilia.

Yes.  And it's more than just a suspicion.  Many Wikipedians on this
mailing list have said things which have brought me to this
conclusion, but on and off the list.  I could start naming names, but
that'd probably get me into trouble.

>> What I equate with a lack of willingness to judge pedophiles as "wrong"
>> is when someone refers to a such a ban with a comment that "We should not
>> judge people by what their opinions are, however apalling we may find
>> them".
>
> Then you've completely missed the point.  What part of someone finding
> an opinion "appalling" do you associate with the absence of
> disapproval?

The part about not judging them, and the referring to pedophilia as an
"opinion".