[Foundation-l] Pedophilia and the Non discrimination policy

David Levy lifeisunfair at gmail.com
Sat Nov 28 23:57:16 UTC 2009

Andre Engels wrote:

> > If [allowing self-identified pedophiles to edit] brings the project in
> > disrepute, then so be it.

Fred Bauder replied:

> It is our responsibility to avoid harm to the project.

By that logic, we ought to disallow public editing altogether.  After
all, wikis (and Wikipedia in particular) are widely criticised because
the ability of "anyone" to edit sometimes leads to inaccuracies and
other undesirable content.

But of course, we mustn't do that (despite the fact that it would
rectify a flaw that leads to disrepute), because it would
fundamentally alter the wikis' nature in an unacceptable manner.

This is the risk that we run when we begin banning editors because we
dislike beliefs and behaviors unrelated to their participation in the
wikis.  We might avoid some negative attention that would accompany
their involvement, but what sort of project are we left with?
Certainly not the sort that I signed up for (and not one that will
engender positive publicity as the open community that it's purported
to be).