[Foundation-l] WSJ on Wikipedia

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 22:21:24 UTC 2009

I agree that we need to recover from overly strict policies, treating
newbies the same way we treat veteran editors, and a sense that there's no
downside to quick deletion or aggressive "OBEY <cite>" messages.

To general ease of use:

Sue writes:
> Basically, there are a lot of people who would like to contribute to
Wikipedia, but who find us impenetrable.

I've been working with swahili-speaking students over the past week
introducing them to Wikipedia (as part of an article-writing contest sw:wp
is running this winter).  They're net-savvy, many maintain a blog, but
they're not geeks.  And they tend to be totally baffled by the Wikipedia
editing process, from finding the 'edit' tab to adding sections or images to
grasping the lifecycle of an article.  That has significantly changed my
impression of the current barrier to entry for using MediaWiki.

Cunctation writes:
> One essential problem is that once Wikipedia embraced the multipage
> multimedia-heavy Encarta style as what makes for a "good" article --
without
> a radical improvement in the editing technology -- the ease of editing has
> fallen drastically.

Well put.  *With* a radical improvement in editing technology (some other
tools out there do a fairly good job at being friendly while offering
sections, tables, media insertion, and even sidebars) this could make it uch
easier for people to create pages they are proud of, which would make it
easier to become a dedicated editor.

> Basically all of the policy trends -- agglomeration, deletionism,
hierarchy,
> protection, bureaucratization -- guarantee the decline of the Wikipedia
> community, if not the website itself.

Not all of them.  There are also trends towards WikiProject and Portal
growth, article assessment, categories, stub classification, infobox and
navigation template standardization, and wikibot scripts and frameworks.
These have all enhance the cohesion of the project, and supported the growth
of meaningful subcommunities that are comfortable working in their own
world.  They have improved the experience of browsing the site tremendously,
even as editing has become only more difficult.

We need to learn from our successes, and remedy our missteps -- being
focusing pessimistically on the latter is neither balanced nor helpful.

SJ