[Foundation-l] Can you tell us about ... - An Idea to encourage more edits

David Moran fordmadoxfraud at gmail.com
Tue Nov 24 13:53:35 UTC 2009

I actually like this idea, a LOT.  The main page basically poses Wikipedia
as a warehouse of content, which is fine, it is that, but also does little
to pose Wikipedia as a collaborative project.  Yeah, new visitors can
technically TRY to edit our main page articles now, but generally the stuff
that makes it there is already so polished, or so intensely guarded, that
neophyte editors have little to no chance of making meaningful edits on
them.  I've had a couple articles I created in the Did You Know space, so I
can definitely say that they aren't the editor-magnets that Featured
Articles or In the News are, but I think putting out there on our front page
articles that need CONTRIBUTORS rather than just READERS (in an obvious way,
I mean--of course all our articles need contributors) would be a very
helpful, and very easy thing for us to do.

FMF