[Foundation-l] WSJ on Wikipedia

Felipe Ortega glimmer_phoenix at yahoo.es
Tue Nov 24 10:44:20 UTC 2009

--- El mar, 24/11/09, Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.rs> escribió:

> De: Nikola Smolenski <smolensk at eunet.rs>
> Asunto: Re: [Foundation-l] WSJ on Wikipedia
> Para: "Wikimedia Foundation Mailing List" <foundation-l at lists.wikimedia.org>
> Fecha: martes, 24 de noviembre, 2009 08:50
> Felipe Ortega wrote:
> > Wikipedia just entered a new phase. Our responsibility
> (as long-time Wikipedia researchers) is to find out the
> causes (not necessarily negative, please read a PDF
> summarizing a recent electronic interview for the Strategy
> plan, at http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Interviews) and
> prevent any possible problems as much in advance as
> possible.
>
> Why not also conduct interviews with Wikipedia editors,
> either a random
> sample or targeted people (for example, people who had
> significant
> contribution and then stopped).

Yeah, this is another interesting approach.

The problem with it is that it's difficult to contact former editors/admins, once they abandon the project definitely (in my experience). Other strategies are too aggressive (like spamming talk pages) etc. and they should always be avoided.

We had an interesting discussion about this issue in an Open Space session at WikiSym 2009. It has resulted in a new project to try and improve these communication mechanisms:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:WikiProject_Research

Regards,
F.