[Foundation-l] WSJ on Wikipedia

Felipe Ortega glimmer_phoenix at yahoo.es
Tue Nov 24 01:31:52 UTC 2009

--- El lun, 23/11/09, Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com> escribió:

> De: Steven Walling <steven.walling at gmail.com>
>
> I didn't see any of the graphs from the piece or any
> conclusions in the
> thesis which are equivalent to the statements made in the
> Journal, so this
> must be new research.

Hi, Steven.

I'm Felipe Ortega the author of the numbers and graphs you're mentioning.

Yes, these are recent updated results of our long-time research line about the Wikipedia community. They were firstly presented at WikiSym 2009, and before that on a coference in the Web Science Lecture Series, at Georgia Tech (both on last October).

As always, I just want to state that, even though the numbers doesn't seem really good for the sustainability of the project in the long term, I struggle daily to fight against fatalist claims or headlines speculating about the end of the project.

Wikipedia just entered a new phase. Our responsibility (as long-time Wikipedia researchers) is to find out the causes (not necessarily negative, please read a PDF summarizing a recent electronic interview for the Strategy plan, at http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Interviews) and prevent any possible problems as much in advance as possible.

As usual, I'm at your disposal for any comments/clarifications.

Best,
Felipe.