[Foundation-l] Proposal: Fan History joining the WMF family

Eugene Eric Kim eekim at blueoxen.com
Wed Nov 18 22:13:10 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Sage Ross
<ragesoss+wikipedia at gmail.com> wrote:
> So the question is, what difference does it make for a wiki and its
> community to be part of a non-profit set of projects versus an
> ad-supported for-profit one?  Quite a bit, I would say, in the
> long-term strategic sense of spreading a free culture movement based
> on sharing and collaboration.  If Fan History became part of
> Wikimedia, it would be time to admit that, in some ways, Wikia and WMF
> are now competitors.

These are exactly the kinds of questions that the Expanding Content
Task Force is exploring for the strategic planning process:

http://strategy.wikimedia.org/wiki/Task_force/Expanding_Content

The underlying question is, when should Wikimedia say yes to projects
that want to become part of the Wikimedia universe? Answering this
question will make it clear what to do with proposals like Laura's
(which, in turn, makes an excellent, concrete example to help us think
through the higher-level question).

=Eugene