[Foundation-l] Minors and sexual explicit stuff

private musings thepmaccount at gmail.com
Wed Nov 18 04:35:31 UTC 2009

Ray,

you seem to me to be essentially discussing the 'users' perspective on
wikipedia - whilst it's my view that the foundation, and the projects could
(and should) do more to allow things like descriptive image filtering for
users (I think it would drive participation in places like schools, and
librairies) I'm also interested in discussing the perspective of
'participant' in the project.

I think there are important duty of care issues for whomever is responsible
for children's involvement in projects like wikipedia, and I don't believe
the foundation, and projects, should simply pass the buck of responsibility
upstream to the parent. Encyclopedia's are rightly exciting and interesting
to children, and I think it's just reality that large numbers of
participants are minors (wiki's fun, right! :-) - we really should at least
talk about whether or not these participants are protected / treated /
advised appropriately.

for example, it would be my advice to a minor that it's inappropriate for
them to join this (not safe for work discussion) about whether or not to
include 'hardcore photos' in the oral sex article (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Oral_sex#Hardcore_photos )

There are important ethical issues here (maybe legal ones too, I don't know)
- I've tried to reach out to Volunteering Australia (
http://www.volunteeringaustralia.org/html/s01_home/home.asp ) who I hope may
be able to offer some advice about good practice in working with volunteer
kids etc. but I think this might be able to go much further much quicker on
a foundation level.

I'd like to see some concrete progress (a report, some ideas, anything
really!) related to ensuring appropriate and adequate measures are in place
to protect child participants in foundation projects. I've copied this
message Angela, who I hope I may persuade to raise this issue with the
advisory board, and also sj who may be able to raise the issue with the
board, or perhaps join this discussion to offer any ideas about handy next
steps. Regardless, I'll hop back on this list following a meeting with
Volunteering Australia, just in case they have any useful or interesting
advice :-)

cheers,

Peter,
PM.