[Foundation-l] Minors and sexual explicit stuff

Gregory Kohs thekohser at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 21:39:52 UTC 2009

One point that the apologists seem to be missing is that the Wikimedia
Foundation assumes and expects that sometimes minors have administrator
rights on the Wikimedia projects.  This then gives them the responsibility
of deciding what is suitable content or not for the project.  Likewise, the
Foundation seems to assume and expect that there will be some risk of the
child interacting on very serious issues with grown adults whose agenda may
indeed be to exploit the minor.  But, the response is...

Go fork yourself a new wiki, if you don't like it.

And the Foundation powers that be wonder why critics sometimes skip to more
"dramatic" forms of protest, without "going through the proper channels".
Jimmy Wales can probably tell you about this very phenomenon when I didn't
"go through proper channels" to advocate against his company hosting a
"Spanking Art" Wikia site, complete with photos and drawings of young girls
in pigtails being showcased in a highly exploitative and abusive setting.
Wikia wanted more time to try to "work things out" with the creators of that
environment, while I preferred that it be taken down in 48 hours, regardless
of conversations with the creators.

Oh well, I guess I'll just go make myself my own wiki.  I'm working on an
article about "Consumer economy", if anyone is interested in helping out and
earning $15:

http://www.mywikibiz.com/Talk:Consumer_economy

Greg