[Foundation-l] Minors and sexual explicit stuff

private musings thepmaccount at gmail.com
Tue Nov 17 03:43:41 UTC 2009

Thanks for the link to the 'youth protection' page, geni - I've linked to it
from Wikipedia:Child protection rather than redirect or abandon that page
just yet - I hope we might make some progress :-)

With that in mind, it occurred to me that this list would be a good spot to
ask folks if they are aware of any child protection measures in place in any
of the WMF communities. I get the feeling that some feel child protection
measures might either be fundamentally a bad thing, or in some way be a net
negative, perhaps in terms of participation etc. - if this is your view,
pipe up! It would be good to debate a little, and try and find some common
ground and move forward :-)

So here's my question - is anyone out there aware of any community
discussion / policies / practices in regard to regulating children's
participation in a project - be it a wikipedia of any language, or any
project in the wiki-verse. I'd also really like to extend this to ask those
readers of this list who partipate in other collaborative projects, or have
experience of other large web sites, to see what measures are out there, and
how they might work.

Finally, I'd like to repeat my request that the smarter brains than I on the
advisory board might like to offer some thoughts in this area - or maybe any
foundation staff, and / or board members could indicate whether or not it's
been discussed, and whether or not I might have any luck in getting this
issue onto the radar - I think it's very important.

best,

Peter,
PM.