[Foundation-l] Upcoming board meeting topics

Michael Snow wikipedia at verizon.net
Wed Nov 11 06:12:11 UTC 2009

Now that the list is running again, here's a quick look at the board's
agenda for the upcoming meeting, November 13-15.

Friday, November 13

9:00 Welcome, housekeeping items
9:30 Approve audited financials and review risks analysis
10:00 Board operations, roles, self-assessment
11:15 Major donor case studies
12:00 Lunch with staff
1:30 Bylaws update, future of appointed seats and Nominating Committee

Saturday, November 14

9:00 Strategic plan presentation with Bridgespan
11:00 Board strategic plan discussion
12:00 Lunch
1:00 Board strategic plan discussion (continued)

Sunday, November 15

9:00 Advisory Board
11:00 Executive session
12:00 Lunch
1:00 Wrap-up, carryover agenda items

We've also been getting briefings on the fundraiser, although it isn't
directly on the agenda. In addition, one of the things we'll be looking
at is whether we can condense future meetings into two days instead of
three. One of the challenges in recruiting qualified board members is
that participation requires a fairly heavy time commitment, compared to
most nonprofit boards. Right now we try not to overload each day's
agenda to keep our work more effective (partly to deal with the fact
that jetlag for at least some of the group is unavoidable), but we may
need to fill things up more in fewer days.

--Michael Snow