[Foundation-l] List moderation - update

Ryan Lomonaco wiki.ral315 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 18:49:13 UTC 2009

Right now the list remains on moderation, and will remain so for the time
being.  Our goal is to reach a consensus on what changes to make over the
next few days.

Since the list was put on moderation this weekend, we've heard from members
of the community regarding various issues with the list, who have given
various potential solutions.  From those, we have posted a straw poll on the
Meta discussion page:

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Improving_Foundation-l#Moving_forward

Among the options we're considering, based on suggestions from community
members, include:
- Imposing a monthly, weekly and/or daily post limit.
- Establishing rules and consistently enforcing them.
- Moderating the most prolific and most problematic posters.
- Replacing the list with a web forum or newsgroup
- Creating a new "announcements" list and keeping foundation-l as-is.

These options have both positives and negatives

Previous efforts to make changes to the list have not been taken seriously
by all, and have not received much discussion.  We want to make it clear
that in order for this list to be useful to many members of the community
yet again, changes must be made, and they must be made immediately.  We
welcome any comments that may be fruitful in this regard.

Discussion on this topic should not be posted to foundation-l; all comments
should be directed to the Meta discussion page, or, if preferred, privately
to us at foundation-l-owner at lists.wikimedia.org.

We do not intend to unmoderate the list only for topics to devolve into the
same inane arguments that have at times occurred.  Our hope is that we can
find a good solution that addresses the issues in a complete and fair
manner.

Sincerely,

Austin Hair
Ryan Lomonaco