[Foundation-l] The state of Foundation-l (again) was: Recent firing?

William Pietri william at scissor.com
Sat Nov 7 20:14:49 UTC 2009

Thomas Dalton wrote:
> Yes, I am placing the burden on other people and I've explained why:
> The burden is negligible for other people. It is significant for me.

Well, you perceive the burden as negligible for them. Have you asked
them? My impression was that you imagined it would be easy for them
because it would be easy for you. Personally, I'd imagine otherwise,
based partly on how easy it would be for me, and partly on a lot of time
spent observing people using software.

A similar effect might apply the other way. Perhaps they see the
behavior they want as easy for you because it's easy for them? If so,
you could consider asking people to help you.

Part of the problem may be that people often don't like other people
imposing burdens on them. It's often read as an attempt of social
dominance, or as rude or contemptuous. So your unilateral placing of
burden may be interfering with your desire to move the conversation forward.

>> You seem like a pretty sharp fellow, and so I'm sure your solution not
>> only looks most rational to you, but has good odds of being so by some
>> reasonable set of metrics. But other people may be using different
>> criteria, and you're unlikely to get them to change something deep like
>> that via an email or two, especially if they already feel frustration
>> toward you.
>>

> If someone would explain their criteria, this conversation could move
> forwards rather than round in circles...

If you wanted to know, you could start by asking them. Perhaps even off
list, as a conversation like that may be more easily held out of the
glare of the spotlight, and certainly doesn't require all of us. That
may take some work on both sides, though; a lot of people either don't
know or aren't good at articulating their values, judgment criteria, and
decision-making processes. As with, say, moving one's arms, a lot more
people do it then know how it works.

Beyond that, there's an ocean of material on how people think and
decide, how groups work effectively together, and how people behave in
relation to software and to on-line communities. If you'd like
suggestions there, drop me a line off list with more info on what you're
looking for, and I'm glad to rummage through my shelves.

William