[Foundation-l] Growth vs. maintenance

wjhonson at aol.com wjhonson at aol.com
Fri Nov 6 23:51:43 UTC 2009

How about this one.  Every arrest (read block for 24 hours or longer) must be approved by an "Admin Supervisor" (let's just call it for now).  That Admin Supervisor, must use a Real Name and be Verified.

That by itself, would greatly cut down on the policing actions of those who are, shall we say, less scrupulous than others.  Of course we'd still need a way to ensure that the Verified admin, is not the same person as a sock running the blocks, and is impartial, unbiased and uninvolved.

No block may be longer than 24 hours without the approval of the community-at-large, no matter what the infraction.  Otherwise, we need a system of judges and juries who are *not* the same persons as the police and prison wardens.  What we have now, essentially allows a single person, or a single group of "friends" to be police, prosecutor, jury, judge, bailiff, and warden.  That in my opinion is what drives away a significant number of good prospects and it should stop.

We should not be requiring individuals to know ninety six rules just to thwart policemen who think they want to harass the person out of the project.  Don't think it doesn't happen.  It happens all the time.  We need an Office of the Editor Advocate, and have it be obvious to all editors how to reach it.

Will Johnson