[Foundation-l] Growth vs. maintenance

WJhonson at aol.com WJhonson at aol.com
Fri Nov 6 19:55:30 UTC 2009

In a message dated 11/6/2009 3:10:33 AM Pacific Standard Time,
putevod at mccme.ru writes:

> To realize that (almost) all articles about computer games, anime series
> and Hollywood stars have been written. We just need to do a different
> work.>>

I would say that most articles about Hollywood stars have been written, but
for example we have no articles on many B stars even if IMDb shows they had
20 or more items credited.

In addition, we have few articles on movies.  Sure we have the
blockbusters, but when you think that Hollywood puts out something like a hundred movies
a year (or more) we have only scratched the surface.  One hundred times 100
years of output.

On the nobility front, I constantly encounter gaps in our lists of "Lord of
such-and-such" (a place or title or designation).  This is more true for
the oldest parts of lines.  With a name like Yaroslav, I'm sure you see a lot
of gaps in the details of the Kievan and Polish rulers from a thousand years
ago.

On biography, comparing the DNB with what we have, there are plenty of
gaps.  And that was just the more comprehensive biography of English-language
people, without mentioning much on the rest of the world.  And mostly focused
on the British at that.

So that's just a few areas that need improvement if we're trying to be
comprehensive and not just current.

Will Johnson