[Foundation-l] Wikinews has not failed

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Thu Nov 5 19:28:48 UTC 2009

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:55 AM,  <WJhonson at aol.com> wrote:
<snip>

> Better to re-focus attention on those projects which are successful, than
> have ten non-successful projects dragging off any resources at all.

What resources?  With only ~1.5M hits per month, EN Wikinews' share of
the tech / internet services budget probably only comes to a couple
thousand dollars per year, in other words basically a rounding error
in the budget.  At the same time, many of the volunteer resources
might simply be lost rather than going to work elsewhere, since
volunteers are hard to redirect.

In a $6 million budget, I'd honestly be disappointed if the Foundation
wasn't spending at least $100k on development projects that might some
day take off, and I certainly wouldn't begrudge Wikinews a share of
that.  One of the virtues of the Foundation is that existing
infrastructure makes it very cheap to experiment and try some ideas to
see what sticks.

-Robert rohde