[Foundation-l] Growth vs. maintenance

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 22:31:23 UTC 2009

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 2:18 PM, Bod Notbod <bodnotbod at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:36 PM, Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> At the root, I think that Wikipedia is something of a victim of it's
>> own success.  We've written the largest encyclopedia in history,
>> become a household name, and created a top web destination.  Great
>> job.  What now?
>
> Are you already on
>
> http://strategy.wikimedia.org

I've read a variety of things there though I haven't yet been inspired
to make a proposal.  My impression though, and correct me if I
overlooked something, is that the strategy development process has
generally been framed in terms of individual projects, but there has
been very little discussion of general philosophy.  Should we be
innovating, taking risks, and looking for new growth opportunities?
Or, should be focusing on solidifying and maintaining our existing
positions and projects?  One position or the other might be implicit
in some of the proposals, but I haven't seen any discussion of which
general path people might want to emphasize.

-Robert Rohde