[Foundation-l] [Fwd: Annual Fundraiser starts November 10th, UTC]

Robert Rohde rarohde at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 18:26:09 UTC 2009

Not bad.  I don't think all of it is good, but generally not bad.
(I'd especially question some of the esoteric stuff in phase one,
which gives no indication that this is a fundraiser, and simply
assaults the visitor with platitudes in large font.  I would suggest
that the marketing instinct to build mind-share around slogans and the
like is actually counter-productive during a fundraiser for a project
that is already a household name.)

Altogether I think the organized state of things seems like movement
in the right direction.  I'll be especially pleased if people monitor
the reactions in near real time and are prepared to pull or change
messages that perform poorly after a few days because there certainly
will be some poor performers if my instincts are right.

It is easy to forget that most potential donors don't really
understand Wikipedia despite using it regularly, so it is good to
remind them of the mission and our volunteer nature.  Some of the
messages do that, which is good.

I would also hope we remember the biggest lesson of 2008.  The
personal appeal, http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Donate/Letter/en
, worked REALLY, REALLY well.  Like a similar effort in 2005, and
contrary to some conventional wisdom, a somewhat longer form appeal
can be really effective at telling Wikimedia's story and connecting
with potential donors.  The two most successful fundraising campaigns
in Wikimedia's history (in a dollars raised per visitor sense) both
used that general format, and I hope we aim to replicate that again
this year.

-Robert Rohde