[Foundation-l] The state of Foundation-l (again) was: Recent firing?

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Wed Nov 4 18:24:56 UTC 2009

phoebe ayers wrote:
> http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Improving_Foundation-l is still up but
> hasn't gotten any new traffic in the last few weeks. Suggestions
> included:
> * starting a forum
> * starting an announcements list
> * limiting posting

Looking at that discussion's history I see the following number of postings:
    Sept 9:   17
    Sept.10: 13
    Sept.11: 12
    Sept.12:  0
    Sept.13:  1
    Sept.14:  1
    Sept.15:  0
    Sept.16:  2
    Sept.17:  1
    ...and nothing since

So it seems that after three days the discussion had essentially run its
course, much in the way of many mailing list threads, including
controversial or even inflammatory threads. An analysis of more threads
or wiki discussions in a similar way could be interesting.  I also not
that the 9th was a Wednesday, and that the drop in list traffic on
weekends may itself have a dampening effect on the life of threads in
that list.

I would also suggest that any suggestion of moderation or other
throttling strategy during the life helps to extend the life of an
otherwise exhausted thread.  Perhaps that should be a mailing list
corollary to Godwin's law.

Ec