[Foundation-l] Recent firing?

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Mon Nov 2 19:16:32 UTC 2009

On Mon, Nov 2, 2009 at 12:27 AM, Dan Collins <dcollin1 at stevens.edu> wrote:
> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 6:50 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 1, 2009 at 5:46 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> > Yes, you can delete the archives on the WMF site. That does make much
>> > difference. It will still be in everyone's inboxes and on various
>> > other archive sites.
>>
>> So, what, don't do the right thing and delete it because some archive
>> sites might not do the same thing?  Whatever.  Not my fight.  And at
>> least the guy has a relatively common name.
>
> How can a WIKIMEDIAN, a member of a project that prides itself in the
> freedom of information, support the censoring of information and the
> stifling of free discourse like this?

I don't support the stifling of free discourse.  I don't have a
problem with the issue being brought up and discussed, I just think
it'd be nice to take the person's name out of the archive, at least
unless and until there is some evidence that it is true.

I fail to see how this is contrary to the mission of the Wikimedia
Foundation to "empower and engage people around the world to collect
and develop educational content under a free license or in the public
domain, and to disseminate it effectively and globally".  I think it
promotes it, indirectly by making for a more friendly environment if
not directly by paving the way for real educational content.

To anyone else who doesn't like this thread (especially the ones who
are actually trying to stifle free discourse).  I'm sorry, but I think
this subthread is completely within the scope of this list.  I think
it's essential for us all to fight hard against the notion that
removal of rumors and libel is somehow "OMG CENSORSHIP" which is
forbidden by the organization's mission.