[Foundation-l] Improving search in Wikipedia through quality and concept discovery

Robert Stojnic rainmansr at gmail.com
Sun Nov 1 16:15:17 UTC 2009

Hi Brian,

I'm not sure this is foundation-l type of discussion, but let me give a
couple of comments.
I took the liberty of re-running your sample query "hippie" using google
and built-in search on simple.wp, here are the results I got for top 10
hits:

Google:  [1]
Hippie, Human Be-In, Woodstock Festival, South Park, Summer of Love,
Lysergic acid diethylamide, Across the Universe (movie), Glam rock,
Wikipedia:Simple talk/Archive 27, Morris Gleitzman

simple.wikipedia.org: [2]
Hippie, Flower Power, Counterculture, Human Be-In, Summer of Love,
Woodstock Festival, San Francisco California, Glam Rock, Psychedelic
pop, Neal Cassady

LDA (your method results from your e-mail):
Acid rock, Aldeburgh Festival, Anne Murray, Carl Radle, Harry Nilsson,
Jack Kerouac, Phil Spector, Plastic Ono Band, Rock and Roll, Salvador
Allende, Smothers brothers, Stanley Kubrick

Personally, I think the results provided by the internal search engine
are the best, maybe even slightly better than google's, and I'm not sure
what kind of relatedness LDA captures.

If we were to systematically benchmark these methods on en.wp I think
google would be better than internal search, mainly because it can
extract information from pages that link to wikipedia (which apparently
doesn't work as well for simple.wp). But that is beside the point here.

I think it is interesting that you found that certain classes of pages
(e.g. featured articles) could be predicted from some statistical
properties, although I'm not sure how big is your false discovery rate.

In any case, if you do want to work on improving the search engine and
classification of articles, here are some ideas I think are worth
pursuing and problems worth solving:

* integrating trends into search results - if one searches for "plane
crash" a day after a plane crashes, he should get first hit that plane
crash and not some random plane crash from 10 years ago - we can
conclude this is the one he wants because it is likely that this page is
going to get a lots of page hits. So, this boils down to: integrate page
hit data into search results in a way that is robust and hard to
manipulate (e.g. by running a bot or refreshing a page million times)

* morphological and context-dependent analysis, if a user enters a query
like "douglas adams book" what are the concepts in this query? Should we
group the query like [(douglas adams) (book)] or [(douglas) (adams
book)]? Can we devise a general rule that will quickly and reliably
separate the query into parts that are related to each other, and then
use those to search through the article space to find the most relevant
articles?

* technical challenges: can we efficiently index expanded article with
templates, can we make efficient category intersection (w/o subcategories)

* extracting information: what kinds of information is in wikipedia, how
do we properly extract it and index it? What about chemical formulas,
geographical locations, computer code, stuff in templates, tables, image
captions, mathematical formulas....

* how can we improve on the language model? Can we have smarter stemming
and word disambiguation (compare shares in "shares and bonds" vs  "John
shares a cookie"). What about synonyms and acronyms? Can we improve on
the language model "did you mean..." is using to correlate related words?

Hope this helps,

Cheers, robert (a.k.a "the search guy")

[1] http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=hippie+site%3Asimple.wikipedia.org
[2]