[Foundation-l] One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun May 31 22:18:55 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:05 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/5/31 Ray Saintonge <saintonge at telus.net>:
> > Assuming that I were somewhere in rural Africa, and perfectly
> > functioning hardware with Wikipedia software loaded in dropped in front
> > of me from the sky like a magic Coke bottle from the Gods, how much
> > would I then be able to use that gift to get a better yield from my
> > little patch of  poor farm-land?
>
> Wikipedia could be *part* of a solution, it's never going to be a
> solution on its own. Wikipedia could be useful as part of an education
> system, but it can't be the whole thing.

I just found another statistic.  Mobile networks cover roughly 80-90% of the
worlds population.

For them, using that mobile network is probably the most cost effective
solution.  For the rest, giving them enough of an education to have the
means to come live with the rest of us, is probably the most cost effective
solution.