[Foundation-l] One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia)

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Sun May 31 21:46:05 UTC 2009

Anthony wrote:
> On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 6:50 AM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Dead tree technology. Wikipedia based encyclopedias in the most widely
>> used languages.
>>
>> Select the 40K most important articles (that will be fun).
>>
> Do you really think the 40K most important Wikipedia articles are more
> useful than a set of high school textbooks?
>
> Wikipedia is sometimes good for getting answers to specific questions, or as
> a place to find out what you don't know so you can then check other
> resources to learn it.  But it can't replace a good textbook for learning
> something from scratch.  Really, no encyclopedia can.

Assuming that I were somewhere in rural Africa, and perfectly
functioning hardware with Wikipedia software loaded in dropped in front
of me from the sky like a magic Coke bottle from the Gods, how much
would I then be able to use that gift to get a better yield from my
little patch of  poor farm-land?

Ec