[Foundation-l] One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia)

geni geniice at gmail.com
Sun May 31 20:42:06 UTC 2009

2009/5/31 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> Brand new and for retail price, sure.  But used and/or at cost (which surely
> there are publishers willing to provide for this sort of thing), I don't see
> how you could beat the established players.

For fairly obvious reasons the existing publishers have not encouraged
the second hand market.

> I'm not sure we should waste everyone on this mailing list's time going
> through the details and formulating a plan.  Let's take Tagalog.  We've got
> 22 million native speakers, of which what % have internet access,

15% maybe?

http://www.internetworldstats.com/asia.htm

> What % have electricity?

The Philippines has more than 85 million people,
spread over some 7,100 islands. Most parts of the
country, and all large municipal areas, have access to
electricity, but around 8 percent of the country’s
42,000 barangays (villages or neighborhoods) re-
mained unserved in 2005. Roughly half of these are in
remote rural areas. The government has set a goal of
bringing electricity to all barangays by 2008

http://209.85.229.132/search?q=cache:HlRig71JtZwJ:www.gpoba.org/docs/OBApproaches_Philippines_SPUG.pdf+electricity+supply+in+the+philippines&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=uk&client=firefox-a

>What % have
> access to a library?  What are the schools like for them?

Literacy rate is 92.6%. Not bad.

>  What topics would be most
> important?

Thats the fun bit

>  How big is the Tagalog Wikipedia?

22K

http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/List_of_wikipedias

> What is the government's role in education?

It runs schools.

> How is the
> funding?

US$138 per pupil

But schools would not be the target in this case since most of the
pupils likely have a reasonable grasp of english since that  is what
some of the lessons are taught in:

http://countrystudies.us/philippines/53.htm
--
geni