[Foundation-l] One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun May 31 18:51:35 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 2:34 PM, geni <geniice at gmail.com> wrote:

> There are a number of existing projects to send out school text books.
> An encyclopedia however is a useful part of wider learning.

I guess, but a print copy of some subset of Wikipedia doesn't seem like the
best solution for someone who already has access to school textbooks.  If
you're talking about a major language, there are already encyclopedias
written for them, and copies can probably be had for much less it would cost
to publish a print edition of Wikipedia.  If you're talking about a minor
language, I don't know.  Are there languages for which Wikipedia is
unarguably the best encyclopedia, with enough native speakers to make a
print run feasible, and for which offering an encyclopedia in a non-native
language wouldn't be more effective?

Maybe.  Want to start that focus group?