[Foundation-l] One Wikipedia Per Person (regarding the distribution of and the ability to read Wikipedia)

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun May 31 13:16:01 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 31, 2009 at 8:52 AM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:

> 2009/5/31 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
> > On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 10:38 PM, Brian <Brian.Mingus at colorado.edu>
> wrote:
> >
> >> I propose a cheap cellphone-sized device (OWPP) whose only purpose is to
> >> read Wikipedia.
> >

> > That's probably both the wrong form (too small) and the wrong content
> (too
> > flighty) for people permanently without access to the Internet (who
> > presumably also are without access to television - otherwise why not beam
> > Wikipedia through whatever network carries the television signal?).
>
> Wikipedia over TV would never work. There isn't the bandwidth for it.

So only broadcast a subset.

> TV is a broadcast medium, that means you have to be constantly sending
> everything anyone could want (or, at least, sending it fairly
> frequently, like teletext does).

Presumably there's a hard drive at the other end.  On one channel broadcast
updates, on a second channel broadcast random articles weighted by relative
importance.

By the way, I'm not really sure what you mean by "TV is a broadcast
medium".  But presumably anyone without Internet access but with TV access
is receiving the TV signal through a broadcast, so I can safely ignore this
nitpick.