[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Gerard Meijssen gerard.meijssen at gmail.com
Sun May 31 06:18:16 UTC 2009

Hoi,
When you want to consider Wave in combination with Wikipedia, there are a
few "easy" answers to this. The first is that Wave is massively easier to
use. When you combine the existing Wave technology with MediaWiki, you will
improve usability for MediaWiki. When you bring MediaWiki content to Wave,
you integrate knowledge into Wave..

The fact that Wikipedia currently is as dominantly as it is, is only true
for some languages certainly not all languages. When you look at African
languages, Wikipedia is a no show.  Wave already has some integration with
mobiles. When we start to think in terms of bringing Wikipedia to the
languages where there are many people and where we are weak, we must do much
better even with our current software platform.

Wave as it is will work as an overlay. It currently supports a few languages
and we support over 300. So when we were to adopt Wave we would face a
challenge. This is however a challenge we are getting better at because of
translatewiki.net.

When you want to focus on the people who do not get the Wikipedia message,
usability is with internationalisation and localisation something we are
starting to address. Wave could be, if it indeed fits our needs as I
suspect, be a shot in the arm on usability.
Thanks,
      GerardM