[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Judson Dunn cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Sun May 31 03:42:49 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 6:40 PM, Lars Aronsson <lars at aronsson.se> wrote:
> Judson Dunn wrote:
>
>> I can't sell my luddite co-workers on the idea of a blog, or a
>> wiki, but this is more obviously approachable. For more normal
>> web users, there are obviously a lot of advanced uses as well.
>
> Google Wave combines many concepts, such as mail discussion
> threads, Twitter-like short message discussions, instant
> messaging, wiki-like edit history and an animated playback.
> The idea of showing diffs since the user last viewed the same
> wave, is very similar to Flagged revisions.
>
> My guess is that this mix is too advanced for most users and will
> be a hard sell, almost like an automobile with a joystick (like an
> airplane) instead of a steering wheel.

Definitely all of that is too advanced, but I don't think people have
to use all of that. You can very easily think of it as email if you
aren't that tech savvy, but with a few new features that maybe you
don't understand that well. If there is a big voting button in an
email people will understand how that works, even if they don't
understand how the wave extension api works.

I also don't really think this is immediately relevant to wikipedia,
but it's interesting getting other wikipedians views on the topic. I
think we have a lot of experience in collaborative software. :)

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion