[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Sat May 30 20:29:44 UTC 2009

Having just watched the talk/show/discussion/dancing, I agree
completely with Steve's comments on wikien-l:

On 29 May 2009, at 04:52, Steve Bennett wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_UyVmITiYQ&eurl=http%3A%2F%
> 2Fwave.google.com%2F&feature=player_embedded
>
> (See from about 31:00 onwards for the relevant bit...)
>
> Real-time collaborative editing. Scroll back and forth through
> history, showing changes by a single user or of a single paragraph.
> Embedded comments updated in real time. Edit from multiple clients.
>
> Could we please have all of this? This is several orders of magnitude
> better than MediaWiki's collaborative editing features.
>
> Steve

I'm not so sure about the rest of the wave idea (I dislike being
trapped within a browser rather than using the whole of a computer's
interface, and I'm vary wary about the apparent lack of interaction
with existing systems and the whole client-server interaction), I
thought that the interface was amazing.

I would love to see a Wikipedia article develop along the lines of
the play back option; it would be great to be able to instantly edit
Wikipedia, and see other people's edits in real time (although real-
time vandalism could be interesting...). Being able to drag-and-drop
images into an article/onto Commons from a desktop, or from elsewhere
on the web, would be a real timesaver.

Could this be considered by the Usability team, or is this way beyond
their scope? Could we ask Google nicely to come up with a brand new
interface for mediawiki? ;-)

Mike