[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Judson Dunn cohesion at sleepyhead.org
Sat May 30 19:17:05 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 6:42 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:
> That would be great, but wouldn't it also mean the death of Google and
> pretty much any company which relies on web advertising to make money?  How
> do you make money off of P2P?  Software and data license fees, I guess, but
> is Google really prepared to go to that model?  And in a world where P2P
> means easy piracy, is the world ready?

Well, the protocol is very much not P2P in the normal sense, there are
authoritative servers, and secure XMPP connections for everything.

It's a peered protocol in terms of the servers though, like smtp.
Plenty of companies make money on smtp/pop/imap now, I don't see this
being any different. Gmail has ads, so why not wave clients. Sure you
will be able to load up thunderbird, or mail.app or something and not
see ads, but if google makes a better client, people will use it. It's
not zero-sum. I think email is a better analogy for a lot of this.

Judson
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Cohesion