[Foundation-l] Google Wave and Wikimedia projects

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sat May 30 03:01:49 UTC 2009

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 10:26 PM, Erik Moeller <erik at wikimedia.org> wrote:

> 2009/5/29 Milos Rancic <millosh at gmail.com>:
> > Probably, some of you already saw that Google made something for which
> > I think that it will be the new form of the mainstream Internet
> > perception. You may read Slashdot article [1], a good description at
> > the blog "Google Operating System" [2] (not officially connected with
> > Google) and, of course, you may see the official site with more than
> > one hour of presentation [3].
>
> I've watched pieces of the presentation, but not the whole thing. Is
> it clear at this point exactly how free/open the entire stack is going
> to be? I.e. will it have dependencies on proprietary services to work
> or work well?

They say that messages which don't have recipients on google's server will
never go through google.  So, sounds like the protocol will be completely
open, and that there won't be any dependencies on proprietary services.

They must have something up their sleeves, though.

Or maybe not.  How much does Google make off of gmail compared to its total
profits?  As a shareholder I guess I should know that.

Maybe they'll keep the search part proprietary.  And the translation, spell
checking, and other parts that aren't necessary for the reference
implementation.  And hope that's enough.