[Foundation-l] Third-party GFDL text irrevocably incompatible with Wikipedia as of August 1

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Thu May 28 20:39:31 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:51 PM, David Goodman <dgoodmanny at gmail.com> wrote:
> regardless of lthe licensing zealots. Free culture arose to permit
> reuse, and should continue that way. We should  simply have told the

So it did.  Wikipedia follows much stricter rules of reuse, which is
fair, as it is expected to withstand a much higher degree of scrutiny
and to satisfy everyone, including both licensing zealots and free
culture zealots.

As Thomas and geni note, pissing off our friends and supporters who
feel strongly about the letter of our licenses is a weak foundation on
which to build anything.  And while you could argue that generations
hence a strong free culture movement can change our vision of what
copyright means, today we can only be stewards for the intent of
contributors by sticking closely to the shared agreemends under which
we contribute to a common good.  In this case that has meant two years
of careful global discussion to effect the change now underway.

SJ