[Foundation-l] Third-party GFDL text irrevocably incompatible with Wikipedia as of August 1

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Thu May 28 13:03:12 UTC 2009

> > the internal debates of others should not matter less.  As I understand
> > what is being said they will still be able to import from WMF projects;
>
> For a limited time - until some bit of cc-sa material is incorporated
> into a given article.

They'll still be able to incorporate any of the GFDL or dual licensed
material, which is all that really matters since if they want to copy the
*entire* article and not some specific part, there's nothing from their site
to relicense anyway.

I'm worried about small sites that want intercompatibility with WMF
> projects (which are the gorilla in the room), and larger ones whose
> communities expect this to be a standing option.  In terms of raw
> content, the fraction of new material that is imported from sites that
> aren't already considering switching is small.  But we have a certain
> obligation to act as stewards for the free sharing of knowledge, in a
> networked community that we have helped to build, including thousands
> of groups who we don't directly see on Wikipedia but who have made
> choices based on ours in the past.

The WMF should have thought about that before making the switch, though.
Instead the official line was that this switch was a panacea, and any
suggestion that there were legal problems surrounding it which acted against
the free sharing of knowledge was dismissed as FUD.  Short of a miracle,
it's too late to fix it, though.