[Foundation-l] Third-party GFDL text irrevocably incompatible with Wikipedia as of August 1

effe iets anders effeietsanders at gmail.com
Thu May 28 08:13:01 UTC 2009

2009/5/28 Ray Saintonge <saintonge op telus.net>:
> effe iets anders wrote:
>>
>> Which makes me wonder how a judge would rule on this btw. Because if
>> the GFDL and CCBYSA are enough similar before the deadline to
>> interchange, why wouldn't they be afterwards? Except for that line in
>> the GFDL version, I don't see legal reasoning behind that... So just
>> wondering how that would work out if someone boldly made the move
>> /after/ the deadline and someone would bring it to a legal case. Is
>> there any precendence on this is the US?
>>

> I doubt it.  I think there is very little precedent anywhere about the legal
> effect of these licences.  Before a judge renders a decision the case has to
> get into court in the first place, and I find it difficult to imagine who
> would have the standing to start such a case.
>
> Ec

That probably would be someone complaining about someone else
relicensing their content :) Which is not likely, and definitely not
us of course, but mainly a thought experiment. I'm just meaning to
say, it is not too hard to put anything you like in any kind of
agreement/license, but what is the actual value of it? I really don't
know.

Lodewijk