[Foundation-l] Third-party GFDL text irrevocably incompatible with Wikipedia as of August 1

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Wed May 27 13:02:31 UTC 2009

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM, Fred Bauder <fredbaud at fairpoint.net> wrote:

>> The relicensing process is underway.  This means we have only 2 months
>> to help GFDL wikis that want Wikipedia compatibility to follow suit.
>> The clause that allows GFDL wikis to be relicensed to CC-BY-SA 3
>> expires on August 1 of this year.
>
> So what does another wiki which uses Wikipedia material or sometimes
> imports material to Wikipedia have to do to accomplish relicensing?

Fred,

Simply announce the change and update all license details and notices
on the site (which for a wiki can be quite a few).   Appropedia has
already gone through this in April; they are a good model, and are
moving to a single-license wiki, which I would advise for most
projects:

   http://www.appropedia.org/Appropedia:Licence-Migration-CC-BY-SA-3.0

SJ