[Foundation-l] Licensing update vote result

Thomas Dalton thomas.dalton at gmail.com
Thu May 21 17:53:53 UTC 2009

2009/5/21 Andrew Gray <andrew.gray at dunelm.org.uk>:
> 2009/5/21 Robert Rohde <rarohde at gmail.com>:
>
>>> I think this is a very good result, in particular the turnout looks great to me!
>>> Congratulations to all who have worked hard to get to it, and I hope
>>> there will be a board resolution soon.
>>
>> As was commented on elsewhere, the 2008 Board Election only had 3019
>> votes, which also suggests the turnout this time was remarkable.
>
> Do we have a rough estimate of qualifying voters who didn't vote?
> 17000 is pretty good, but it occurs to me I have no idea how large the
> editing community really is!

Millions, presumably. The English Wikipedia has nearly 10 million
registered users, although a large portion of those won't have 25
edits (and some will be sockpuppets). Once you take the whole
Wikimedia movement into account, the number of eligible voters must
surely be over a million. A very large portion of those will no longer
be involved in the projects, though.