[Foundation-l] Long-term archiving of Wikimedia content

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Tue May 19 21:37:40 UTC 2009

A brief update:

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Samuel Klein
> The current amortized cost of making 10 nickel
> discs (each with 10,000 pages in a 100x100 grid) is
> around $500 each.   They can also make
> polymer copies for much less that are likely stable
> for at least a century.

The amortized cost is closer to $600 for nickel disks and $150 for polymer.

Back to the near term : can someone tell me the rough cost per GB and
expected lifetime of the backups our colo uses?  (I would guess $1 and
20 years.)  Are there full offsite backups?

I would feel better if people would help update
http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Contingency_planning

SJ