[Foundation-l] Wikipedia is not censored (was Wikipedia is not the Karma Sutra, was Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery

Nathan nawrich at gmail.com
Mon May 18 14:09:04 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 6:25 PM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:

> What I'd like to see is a preferences framework that allows people to
> subscribe to a set of opt-in viewing/reading options similar to how we
> currently can add JS widgets.  If any of them become so massively
> popular and useful that there is demand to include them as a
> single-button option in the global user prefs menu, that's ok - but we
> can wait to see how each viewing option is received.
>
> The ones I imagine getting lots of use would not be about
> 'content-hiding', but would filter up/down other sorts of information
> (I really want an option to see major contributors, or the last few
> contributors, near the top of an article for instance).   However,
> this would also let the minority of readers who care a lot about that
> collaborate with one another on making reading WP more friendly for
> them.
>
> SJ

I think if there was demand for this within the editing community, it would
already exist. The problem, then, is not what to do for the editors who
might like a "safe" option but for the readers who don't have an account and
can't set preferences or add .js widgets. Maybe not right now, but I can see
in the future shooting for a kids.wikipedia.org or safe.wikipedia.org -
perhaps Simple Wikipedia, which has had some criticism for its mission,
could be adapted for the purpose.

Nathan