[Foundation-l] Wikipedia is not the Karma Sutra, was Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery

Mike.lifeguard mikelifeguard at fastmail.fm
Thu May 14 23:14:55 UTC 2009

While this may be true for Wikipedia (English Wikipedia?), it is
certainly not true of Wikimedia project generally. For example,
Wikibooks has a subproject Wikijunior which is an attempt to create
high-quality children's books. Part of the defined scope here is that
the books are appropriate for children. While I despise censorship (cf
my recent posts, or my statements on Commons) this is commendable in my
mind. Though I don't participate in generating content for Wikijunior on
a regular basis, I do think it is a worthwhile project, and is an
important alternative to be mentioned during such discussions. There is
a safe sandbox at Wikijunior (well, semi-safe, English Wikibooks still
gets vandalism, though we now have FlaggedRevs [which could use a config
change; it's in bugzilla :D]) where people concerned with such things
can generate appropriately-censored content for children.

-Mike