[Foundation-l] Wikipedia is not the Karma Sutra, was Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery

Chad innocentkiller at gmail.com
Thu May 14 19:10:19 UTC 2009

On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 3:05 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/14 Chad <innocentkiller at gmail.com>:
>> Or for enwiki to stop thinking themselves such fantastic editors
>> and accept the notion that not all material is suitable for all ages.
>
> I don't accept that notion. I fail to see how children are harmed by
> such images. If we were to implement any kind of censorship it would
> be to keep parents happy, not to protect children.

And? What's wrong with pleasing the parents? I would rather do that
and have children be able to access all the good content Wikipedia
has than have their parents just make Wikipedia off-limits because of
a small subset of the overall content.

>> A simple "this image may be inappropriate (show/show all from now on)"
>> button would go a long way and would be ridiculously easy to implement.
>> The hard part is convincing enwiki that they're not always right.
>
> The technical implementation is easy, deciding which images to hide
> like that is impossible.

Is it? Blanket-labeling all images depicting nudity as "inappropriate" would
be pretty straightforward and would alleviate the majority of concerns.

-Chad