[Foundation-l] Wikipedia is not the Karma Sutra, was Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery

David Goodman dgoodmanny at gmail.com
Thu May 14 18:03:00 UTC 2009

Perhaps the problem is that the particular photograph sends a
sex-positive, not a clinical message. Why shouldn't it? It's not a
pathological state; it's not shameful. Using a clinical image
indicates there is something about it that needs to be shown in a
specially restrained manner. The picture  might be interpreted as
implying that a woman as well as a man might enjoy the practice. When
we show pictures of people engaging in recreation, we normally do show
them enjoying it.  We do this even for dangerous sports. Our treatment
of consensual sexual practices should be as for other non-harmful
human activities: we present them as part of the normal world.  As far
as children & sexuality go, I do not see the picture as harmful to any
young person old enough to understand it. As far as sexual practices
go, this one is from any point of view  quite innocuous.  If one wants
to encourage young people to safe sex, this qualifies, though I'm
aware it seems odd to some people.

 David Goodman, Ph.D, M.L.S.