[Foundation-l] Wikipedia is not the Karma Sutra, was Re: commons and freely licensed sexual imagery

Fred Bauder fredbaud at fairpoint.net
Thu May 14 14:11:56 UTC 2009

> Fred Bauder wrote:
>>> in case this is done, fyi the spelling runs:  KAMA SUTRA (not kaRma)
>>> very best,
>>> oscar
>>>

>> Just a mistake Oscar, but Karma is indeed the issue. We need to do the
>> right thing.
>>

>  From a purely theological perspective, throwing these terms
> around like there is no tomorrow is way more complex than
> you seem to appreciate.
>
> The problem with "karma" and I hate the term, just as
> "rewards in the next life" which is even more odious in my
> view; is that they talk about effecting a change in future
> conditions for which there is no proven link.
>
> Surely the real reason for doing the right thing cannot
> be that it pleases whoever, but just because it is the
> right thing. I forget which of Plato's dialogues explored
> this theme, but really, just fuck the gods, fuck the
> consequences, and just do what is right.
>

> Yours,
>
> Jussi-Ville Heiskanen

Without being superstitious, Wikipedia's karms is simply the consequences
of what we do, in this case, loss of both the usefulness of the
encyclopedia by part of broad spectrum of potential users and possible
loss of public support. Fucking the gods might be fun, but fucking the
consequences is not wise.

Fred