[Foundation-l] Murdoch newspaper websites to go paywall -opportunity for citizen journalism!

Ray Saintonge saintonge at telus.net
Mon May 11 23:39:51 UTC 2009

Nathan wrote:
> The biggest problem for Wikinews in my mind is that delivering news is a
> competitive and innovative business. In the on-line and comprehensive
> encyclopedia vacuum, Wikipedia was able to be "get there first, with the
> most" and draw eyeballs and participants by being the leader.

This certainly distinguishes Wikipedia from all the sister projects.
Wikipedia started with a vision; the sister projects started by not
being Wikipedia.  Each, beginning with Meta, was set up to get around a
limitation imposed by a Wikpedia rule.  It's very difficult to build
vision when your entire raison d'être depends on *not* being something.

Ec