[Foundation-l] Long-term archiving of Wikimedia content

Anthony wikimail at inbox.org
Sun May 10 21:19:56 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 5:16 PM, Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org> wrote:

> On Sun, May 10, 2009 at 5:14 PM, Thomas Dalton <thomas.dalton at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> 2009/5/10 Anthony <wikimail at inbox.org>:
>> > The private parts of the database are probably more valuable than the
>> public
>> > ones, though.
>>
>> Why? The private parts are just deleted stuff. The deleted stuff isn't
>> generally very valuable, that's why it was deleted.
>

> Mostly I meant the user data (especially the passwords).  The relative
> value of them compared to the rest can be shown by anyone who tries to
> create a fork.

By the way, the same argument could be made about all the prior versions -
it "generally isn't very valuable", and that's why it was edited.

The current versions, or something close to them, are widespread enough to
do in case of catastrophe.  Google cache, answers.com, etc.  At least for
the English language version, anyway.