[Foundation-l] Long-term archiving of Wikimedia content

Michael Peel email at mikepeel.net
Sun May 10 21:19:25 UTC 2009

On 10 May 2009, at 22:06, David Gerard wrote:

> 2009/5/10 Michael Peel <email at mikepeel.net>:
>
>> I don't want to restart this rather long (but very interesting)
>> topic, but I'd like to point out / remind people that a couple of
>> well-placed fires could wipe out most of wikipedia et al. as we
>> currently know it - surely the first priority, before thinking about
>> the real long term, is to sort that out? Remember the Library of
>> Alexandria...
>

> The new dumps are progressing very well. Presumably when they're done
> we can give the Internet Archive and any similar archivists a yell.

I'll believe that when the dump's finished running... (or is the dump
process recoverable now?)

Personally, I'd like to see much more mirroring of the live
databases, spread around as many countries/continents as possible, in
addition to dumps being made available regularly.

Does the WMF have a disaster recovery plan?

Mike