[Foundation-l] Long-term archiving of Wikimedia content

Samuel Klein meta.sj at gmail.com
Mon May 4 23:51:45 UTC 2009

I'm splitting off a separate thread about long-term archiving.  The
original thread is important enough not to derail it.

This is a big topic, and also one that has been addressed in many
different bodies of planning and literature.  The Long Now foundation
has considered a 10,000-year library project, and their Rosetta
Project tests a technique for 5,000-year preservation of texts.
Sadly, an earlier forum devoted to these ideas has been taken offline,
robots.txt'ed out of the internet archive, and I can't find a copy...
[ a long now apparently doesn't require archival public discussion? :)
]

Kevin Kelly on long-term backups:
  http://blog.longnow.org/2008/08/20/very-long-term-backup/
The original y2k event:
  http://www.longnow.org/projects/past-events/10klibrary/

Related research into long-term archival engineering has turned up
good ideas: laser micro-etching into nickel provides an excellent
price/size/weight point per archived page, and requires only the
[re]creation of decent, bootstrappable optics to recover lost
knowledge.

You could create and distribute etched-plate copies of the 10B words
of all Wikimedia text [and thumbnails?] on perhaps 100 thin nickel
sheets, for roughly $100k / 50kg / 0.01 m^3 (incl padding).  If this
laser etching process were scaled up, it would drop significantly in
price.

SJ