[Foundation-l] Foundation-community support and communication

Casey Brown cbrown1023.ml at gmail.com
Sun May 3 15:08:28 UTC 2009

On Sun, May 3, 2009 at 5:17 AM, Samuel Klein <meta.sj at gmail.com> wrote:
> In a different thread, Sue Gardner wrote:
>> * Thanks Milos for advocating on behalf of a permanent Research Analyst!  I want this too.
>
> An aside : many researchers in the community (of readers, if not
> editors) are interested in research of almost any type associated with
> WP/WMF data, and would love to do research of interest to the
> projects.  If we organize some sort of regular recognition for
> excellent research done on/about WM projects, and improve access to
> the sorts of data that research groups lust after, this will help tap
> into the latent university interest [which comes with its own
> sustained staff and funding, new pools of people to give talks at
> different sorts of conferences and events, &c].   This does require
> work - despite the theoretical transparency and accessibility of
> project data, publish few good papers to date.  [Rut, how many fellow
> students of yours are getting wiki PhD's?]

I definitely agree with this.  We have had attempts at this:
* http://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Research_Network
* http://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Chief_Research_Coordinator

I'm not sure what exactly happened, but there is not really any
organisation left -- we just still have the mailing list which gets
some posts every now and then.

--
Casey Brown
Cbrown1023