[Foundation-l] Cross-wiki articles

Amir Elisha Aharoni amir.aharoni at gmail.com
Sat May 2 18:28:07 UTC 2009

On Sat, May 2, 2009 at 21:09, Yoni Weiden <yonidebest at gmail.com> wrote:
> The question is - shouldn't there be one set of standards for all
> Wikipedias?

I do think that there should be one set of standards for all
languages. But it may be hard to enforce it on an existing community.
WMF can try and enforce copyright policy or maybe Biographies of
Living People policy, because these issues may have severe legal
implications, but it is next to impossible to enforce Notability or
Verifiability policies.

Few he-wikipedians care about it, but he.wikipedia did quite well for
several years without a clear written policy on any of the following:
Living People, Notability, Original Research and Verifiability. All
decisions on these matters are made ad hoc. To our friends from
en.wikipedia it must seem surreal :)

I think that there should be written policies about those things and i
am very slowly working to fix it, but the reality is that writing and
correcting articles somehow ends up being more urgent.

> I think it is "unfair" that I can read about Simpsons episodes
> in the English Wikipedia, while those how speak Hebrew cannot.

Everything should be written; not everything has to be written in
Wikipedia. If something is not in Wikipedia, it doesn't mean that it
doesn't exist.

Until you fix the policies in he.wikipedia to your liking, you can,
for example, set up a Hebrew Simpsons/Southpark Wiki in Wikia. It may
seem imperfect, but it's much better than nothing.

--
Amir E. Aharoni

heb: http://haharoni.wordpress.com | eng: http://aharoni.wordpress.com
cat: http://aprenent.wordpress.com | rus: http://amire80.livejournal.com